The Facebook Page & Group are for anyone who lives or has lived in
Beeville incorporated for the first time in 1890, but the corporation was dissolved the following year. In 1900 the population had grown to 2,311. The town received electricity and municipal water in 1903 and sewerage in 1910. Beeville was incorporated for the second time in 1908, with a mayor-aldermanic government. Residents opted for a commission government in 1912, then changed to a council-manager government in 1951. The town continued to grow during the early decades of the twentieth century. In 1920 the population reached 3,062, and the following year the streets were paved. The discovery of oil and gas in the county in 1929 led to the building of several large office buildings in Beeville; the Union Producing Company had its district offices there from 1930 until the 1970s. Between 1920 and 1930 the population increased by more than 60 percent, reaching 4,806. In spite of the boost given the local economy by the oil industry, Beeville was hard hit by the Great Depression in the 1930s. A WPA office was opened in the community, and government-funded projects improved city streets. The population grew to 6,789 in 1940, the year the Beeville Chamber of Commerce was chartered. During World War II Beeville benefited from the construction of the Naval Auxiliary Air Station at Chase Field, which eventually became the Naval Air Station, Beeville. The base trained naval aviators from 1943 through 1946, then was temporarily deactivated. In response to the demands of the Korean War the field was reopened in 1952 and continued to train pilots until its closing in 1992. Beeville continued to grow, reaching 9,348 inhabitants in 1950 and 13,811 in 1960. Thereafter, the population remained relatively constant—13,506 in 1970, 14,574 in 1980, 13,547 in 1990, and 13,129 in 2000. The first school in Beeville was held in a private home in 1860, and the first school building was built in 1877. The Beeville school district had ten schools in the mid-1980s. The first parochial school was Saint Mary's Academy, built in 1896 and destroyed by fire in 1930. St. Joseph's School was built on the same location, and seven other parochial or private schools existed in 1984. Bee County College opened in 1967. The earliest church services were held in the homes of the Irish Catholic settlers of the area in the 1840s. The first Methodist church was organized in 1861, and the first Baptist church in 1869. The community had thirty-two churches in the mid-1980s. In 1990 the town's economy was focused on county government, oilfield services, and agribusiness. Western Week was held every October in the city coliseum. Beeville had a senior citizen's center and a hospital and was home to Bee County College.